Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Temple and Garden Visits

-->
Our first temple visit in Kyoto was to the Sanjusangen-do temple.  We really didn’t know what we were getting ourselves into.  The first act that signaled this was a holy place was the request that everyone remove their shoes before entering….a not so subtle instruction that Emma and I seemed to miss.  As we stepped into the shoe removal platform with our shoes on, several security women rushed us, frowned and pointed to our shoes.  Oopsy!  The Japanese are incredibly polite and gracious, so we clearly made a big mistake given their behavior toward us.  
Temple Shoe Storage Area

Our Temple Slippers
Outside Sanjusangen-do Temple
The temple was oblong with 1001 life-size Buddha statues on the right side of the structure. The lighting was dim. Incense filled the space. The temple was drafty and cold.  Buddhists monks were working behind the rail near all the statues.  People gave money to light candles.  In the center of the temple sat the largest image of Buddha I have ever seen. Signs were posted everywhere in English stating no pictures, so I only have the memory of this magical, eerie space of dimly lit rows of Buddha statues.

The next day we visited the Ginkakuji Temple Silver Pavilion in Kyoto, the most beautiful Japanese garden I have ever seen. Pictures don’t give it justice.  Ironically, walking through this garden was so stressful. I had to fight for space for my feet on these little stone paths through the garden as people were jostling for the best pictures. 

I finally found my Japanese garden after arriving in Tokyo. We walked down a ways from our hotel to a lovely green oasis in a sea of urban intensity.  Here we have David soaking up some Zen energy in a special alcove within the garden. Emma is singing and playing in the water near us. I am not worried about Emma getting her shoes wet. I sit next to David on a rock, in my own magical moment.


Hey! What are these businessmen doing in my Japanese garden? Several floors above the garden in a building nearby, I noticed a very fancy reception in progress and couldn't resist capturing the contrast.













No comments: