Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Family Vacation Part 2

So the second part of our family vacation was in Vermont. We drove from Quebec City to Burlington, Vermont. We traded the novelty of visiting a French speaking, somewhat foreign city (Quebec City) for the comfort and familiarity of the US.


The 4-hour drive from Quebec City to Vermont was very pretty. The scenery was green with rolling hills, red barns and iconic grain silos. The sky looked like the clouds from the opening scenes of the Simpson’s show. Because I grew up in a rural community, I was familiar with many of the farm equipment brand names I saw along the way: Butler grain silos, Massey Ferguson combines, John Deere tractors, etc. The people living in this part of Canada looked like they could’ve walked off the plains of Eastern Colorado, with one major exception: everyone spoke French. I enjoyed feeling like I was traveling through a French speaking rural America.

Vermont was very special. I knew I was back in the Northeast when I saw a Shaw’s grocery store. It seemed so welcoming. While in Burlington, we went on walks, visited several museums, rented bikes, ate lots of great cheese and of course took the required tour of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream factory in Waterbury.



Here we all are at the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory.













David,Emma and I at the Montmorency Waterfall outside of Quebec City. It is true what they say about hair growth after chemo: it will often grows back in a different color or texture. My hair is now very, very curly but still dark brown. David is clearly proud to be a Texas Longhorn with his cap and color coordinated burnt orange t-shirt.

No comments: