Saturday, February 2, 2008

PET Scan Results!

I had my 5th chemo treatment yesterday. I also got to meet with my oncologist to discuss my treatment plan and the PET scan results. As soon as the doctor walked in the door, he said, “The PET scan results look great.” He didn’t even wait to sit down to deliver the news. He just started talking the second the door opened. He usually does not do this. When he got to his chair, he continued, “The tumor is completely gone. There is no cancer left in your liver!

David, being a probability type of guy, wanted to nail down a confidence level that all the cancer was gone, not just in the liver. So, David asked what was the doc’s confidence level of complete remission? 95%, 97%, 99%? The doc said as close to a 100% confidence level as he could possible get.

I wanted to cry when I heard the news. I thought crying would be appropriate at this point, but I just couldn’t. I have been feeling so good, that I knew I was better about a month ago. For me, the PET scan just confirmed what I was feeling both physically and emotionally.

The protocol for my therapy is to have two treatments past complete remission. The doc was hoping for complete remission at this point. So we continued with yesterday’s treatment and the treatment on Feb 22 will proceed as planned.

The very, very big question is the maintenance plan. There is no definitive protocol as research results are always changing. There is a 60% chance that the lymphoma will return within the next five years. We plan on getting a second opinion regarding maintenance from MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

We celebrated last night with the amazing Saundra’s matzah ball soup, challah, and several high calorie desserts.

I thank everyone for the positive thoughts, prayers, well wishes, and karmic energy that was sent my way. Nothing like a little western medicine, a good attitude and lots of positive support to cure a cancer.

16 comments:

dquack said...

Great news! This is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for all of you!

Anonymous said...

YES! What wonderful news. I am so very happy to read this blog. I may celebrate myself tonight I'm so thrilled about it! Yeah!!

Anonymous said...

WOW... What GREAT news!!

Hopefully the next 2 chemo treatments will kick that cancer's butt so hard that it NEVER comes back!

Here's a big celebratory hug from us to you.

- Veronica & Roland

Anonymous said...

I knew it! Gigi, I'm so happy for the news! You'll continue to be in my prayers.

Big hug,
Ruby

Anonymous said...

Dear Gigi!

This is *such* great news!!!!! I too am going to celebrate!

Tears in my eyes, and tremendous love to you --- and *thank* you so much for sharing your experience with us as you've gone through it.

Tandy

Unknown said...

Gigi,

This is the "most" awesome news! I am so happy for you, your family, and yes your many friends. I will celebrate today, Super Bowl Sunday, with a great meal and a toast to you! You go girl.

Mary Ann

Wendy said...

As the kids are saying these days, W00T! :-D That is just amazingly good news!!! Here's to continued and full recovery, the easiest last two treatments on record and a long and happy life! YAY!!!

sally said...

Another Hooray joins in: My David told me this marvelous news, but was even more wonderful to actually read the words on your blog. We are so happy for you. And each time I read your blog, I am amazed at how you have so sanely and clearly catalogued your cancer experience. You are a hero. Mazel Tov on this news!!

Anonymous said...

Larry and I join your multitude of
fans with our congratulations and all good wishes for the completion of your treatment and a cancer-free life to follow. We are overjoyed to know that you have won this battle and grateful to have been able to follow your journey on the Internet.
Love to you, David and Emma,
Evie Lieb

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! What great news. I was thrilled to see a picture of you, Claudia & Andrea. It was nice that they could come spend some time with you. We will truly have lots to celebrate @ our next class reunion.

Nicki

Unknown said...

We are thrilled to read your great news!!

Paula & Mike

jag512 said...

My mouth is just dropping wide open with amazement and gratitude to God for this gift to you and your family! There are literally tears in my eyes (yeah, yeah, so that's no big deal! LOL) but I am so thrilled to read this news! Looking forward to getting together with you to celebrate!
Love,
Jod

Anonymous said...

Gigi!

As the rest of your pals, I am very very happy to hear such great news! You made me smile with your "tourist" comment next to the PET scan. Now finally I can laugh at it!

Love

ebru

Anonymous said...

Gigi, Fantastic news! I'm so happy for you and your family. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Keep in touch and I know I'll see you soon. Dave Nolan

Anonymous said...

Leonard and I are so, so happy to hear this! We have been reading along and rooting for you.

Love from Sara and Leonard in Berkeley