Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thank you!

Wow. Thanks for all of the continued support from everyone. I REALLY welcome the posts, emails, prayers, calls, cards, thoughts, gifts, voice mail messages, books, food, hats/scarves, shopping runs, lunches, hugs, flowers, visits and love. I really have never had this type of attention in my life. I have been really moved by all the support. THANK YOU!

As I have written, this cancer has been a real life-altering event. One of the realizations is how many wonderful, dear, loyal friends we have. Perhaps, the magic of the Internet has helped create such a great support network. Just days into my diagnosis, our friends Saundra and Steve set up a local Yahoo group. People wanting to bring food simply put their names down on a calendar on the Yahoo group. Since my first chemo treatment on Nov 7, we have had about 30 meals brought to our house!! I know, amazing!

In addition, this blog as created a virtual community of supporters beyond the Austin area. What did we do before the Internet? How did we keep everyone updated? I guess we just called everyone or had others call with progress reports?

Blogging has been therapeutic for me. Instead of thinking about the nasty cancer cells in my body, I am always thinking of blogging topics and writing drafts in my head. Who would have thought that a cancer diagnosis would provide fuel for creative energy? Sure, private journal writing can provide emotional release, but there is something about public interactivity that makes the blogging experience so powerful.

The story is not over. My last chemo treatment is on Feb 22. I am not sure at what point I move from cancer patient to cancer survivor. I do know that I will continue to blog all about it. More to come….


My "Happy Complete Remission" bouquet of flowers from David.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gigi,

Your friends love you, because you are really -- honestly -- a tremendously beautiful person. You're also a great friend, and that's why you have gotten such support. Not everyone would have such an outpouring of support!

It doesn't hurt, either, that David is a total sweetheart, too! (Yes, we love you too, David!)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers! Kudos to David. I am just so thrilled that you're feeling better. I know we all are. I talked with Gilbert the other night and told him to let people know on the staff if they didn't already know. Can't wait to get together and celebrate. LMK when you have a free lunch or dinner out!