Friday, November 16, 2007

Good news!

Yesterday, my mother and I went to see my oncologist for a 1-week follow-up visit. I told the doc that my abdominal pains are all gone; that I can walk upright now without needing to bend over and clutch my stomach; and that I am no longer short of breath. He examined my stomach area. This time I didn’t wince in pain when he touched the right side of my stomach. After listening to me and examining my body, my oncologist announced that it looks like the tumor has gone down 10-20% after one round of chemo! I will have a CAT scan after the second round of chemo to confirm the reduction. My mom and I couldn't stop shaking the doctor's hand. We then hugged and cried after we left the doctor's office. My mom told me she was finally able to sleep last night for the first time in weeks after hearing the good news.

So at the same time that I have this wonderful news, I am now feeling the effects of the chemo. I tire very easily. I often have flu-like symptoms. Because my mouth is very tender, I can only eat very mild food. And yesterday, I got sick twice.

But now I am in such a better place emotionally than I was before the chemo treatment. Now I know my discomfort is actually part of my healing. Before the chemo, I was deteriorating on a daily basis. Everyday the pain, the shortness of breath and the night sweats would get worse. It was so frightening to know that I had something growing inside me that was literally killing me with my every breath. I would never wish this experience on anyone.

My next round of chemo will be on November 30. This time the treatment will be just one day. I remain (oddly) in good spirits. I actually like to throw up because I feel so much better afterwards, plus it feels like I am literally, physically, and cathartically purging the malignancy out of my body.

7 comments:

dquack said...

Great news! And great blog. I think you'll find it very healing to write about this. I didn't quite understand chemo either, so I liked your description. Sounds like the induction room has come a long way from what it used to be.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news, Gigi!
I'm so grateful to have your blog to read. You're a fine writer, your story is compelling -- and I KNOW you! I lurk at other blogs and sometimes comment, but this is so special because of who you are!!
It seems that you are getting a lot out of writing this. Please know that this reader, and I'm sure others, deeply appreciate you sharing these moments.
Virginia

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are keeping us updated on how you are doing and that the latest news is positive. We are thinking of you often.

-- Mike Steckel

Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi and family.
I'm so happy about this latest news, and so glad you shared it on GBB! I was actually wondering if the ill effects of chemo would feel satisfying somehow, in the way you described. And so... here's to vomiting and fatigue. May it represent the purging of all this malignancy. Right on!

Anonymous said...

Although I saw you in person tonight - I somehow feel as if it is rude to read and run without stopping to say 'something' - even if it just thanks for writing and keeping us all posted in this way - we love you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Gigi,

Hearing that the tumor has shrunk so much made me cry. I'm so glad!!!

Love, Tandy

jag512 said...

Hey Gig,
WOW, this is great news! I've been thinking about you every day and wondering how you're doing. Laura asked about you when she called yesterday, too. Have to say, though, this is one hell of a way to start a blog! LOL I would have settled for you blogging on advertising or being a superwoman instead of getting cancer, ya know? Ever the educator, however, you are taking your life experience and helping all of us to understand how to live with cancer...and hopefully this connection to everyone will serve to lift you up since we all love and care about you very much! Hang in there! -- Jody