Thursday, November 15, 2007

Veteran's Day Bone Marrow Aspiration

On Monday of this week, I went to a local hospital for a bone marrow aspiration. They basically took a sample of my bone marrow to see if the cancer has gone to my bones. Since all of this started, I have had so many tests and exams, however Monday’s bone marrow aspiration was the most difficult and painful of them all. The procedure was difficult for two reasons:

1. The procedure hurt! I was somewhat sedated, but not enough. I requested more sedation, but I still felt LOTS of pressure. The doctor took a sample from the lower part of my back.

2. I had to wait and wait and wait for my procedure to start. I walked in at 8:30 in the morning. They told me I would be out in about 5 hours. David and I didn’t leave the hospital until 7:30 at night. I first waited in the pre-op area in a gown on a bed for about 4 hours. From my vantage point, I could hear and see the stress of the nurses trying to get all the patients ready for their day surgeries. Since I can’t truly evaluate medical competencies of a hospital or clinic, I evaluate on the care and service aspect that I receive. This pre-op area was clearly understaffed. Then I was transferred to the actual operating room. They got me on my stomach, put oxygen in my nose, prepped my back, put me into a CT machine and then I waited. I waited in this position for about an hour until the doctor arrived. Fortunately I had a nice nurse that stayed and talked to me while I was waiting for the doctor. The nice nurse assured me that this waiting in the operating room never happens. I thought, “Thanks, Good to know.” I kept hearing the staff talking about how busy they were that day. Then I figured it out…it was Veterans Day. Lots of people have the day off. Perhaps everyone decided to have his or her elective surgeries on Monday? Or perhaps people are trying to get their surgeries in before the Thanksgiving holiday? Who knows. I took a pain killer when I got home and went to bed.

On Tuesday, I was still very sore from the procedure and my bones hurt. On Wednesday, I had some energy and I felt good, but I over did it. I was very, very tired last night. I realize I just need listen to my body and accept my slower pace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gigi,

I'm new to this "blogging" thing, but it is encouraging to follow your story as it unfolds. Please let me know what I can do to help. You probably don't want me cooking as I'm not good at that, but I can run errands or keep Emma. And...please listen to your body. When it says "rest," it means for you to REST. Mary Ann