Sunday, December 23, 2007

At the halfway mark

I am happy to report that with the completion of this third treatment, I am at the halfway mark in my therapy. I have three more treatments to go. The oncologist told us that the tumor is going down at an ideal rate. In his words, my body is responding “beautifully.” In addition, he said my blood clot at the end of my port was tiny. The infusion treatment went well. My port worked. Everything went as expected. As usual, because of the drugs, I slept through most of the infusion. Until….


…one of my lazy boy chemo neighbors decided to turn the TV on. Thank goodness I had my “TV B Gone” with me. This remote control was a gift from David and Sally, good friends from Boston. After reading one of my earlier posts about being “thankful nobody requested the TVs to be put on,” David and Sally quickly mobilized into action and sent me a “TV B Gone” so I would be ready just in case. So, when the TV came on, I quickly zapped it off and told my chemo neighbor that I was trying to quietly fight for my life here. Silence was key.

Actually, only part of this story is true. I did get a “TV B Gone” remote from David and Sally (which made me laugh and laugh), but I didn't use it in the infusion room. It seemed a bit surreal to watch TV ads for kool-aid, laundry detergent, and orange juice while life saving chemicals coursed through my veins. As I slipped back into my drug induced sleep, I got confused which fluids were the mundane and which ones were the profound.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

D and Sally are the royalty of the funny gift. :-)

I remember watching the godawful game show "Match Game '75" when I was in the hospital for surgery on my eye. I love game shows in general, but to this day I can't watch "Match Game" without feeling queasy and nervous. I wonder if ads will do the same for you when you're done with the chemo...

Now, every day, you're MORE than halfway there! Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

OMG - I was just trying to imagine YOU zapping off a stranger's TV, and I couldn't do it! I'm sure my eyes totally widened when I read that...

Reality returned when you admitted you never really shut off your neighbor's telly. So, so glad you're at the halfway point. That and the news from your doc is GREAT!