Friday, December 7, 2007

My Cranial Prosthesis

Out of all the various styles and colors of wigs, I picked this synthetic wig from the “Noriko Collection.” The wig is called the "Ryan” and the color is toasted brown. It was made in Thailand. The wig is perky bob that reminds me of a hairstyle that a morning newscaster would wear…so not me. (I just miss my old "no particular style" hair.) I feel like I am wearing a mop on my head when I have the wig on. I look at pictures of me in the wig and I wonder, “Who is this person?” I will wear this wig when I don’t want to be cancer identified. For example, I wore the wig for the first time when I went to Emma’s school yesterday to volunteer in the library. One of Emma’s little friends didn’t recognize me and asked Emma if I was the babysitter. Emma whispered back that I was wearing a wig because my hair had fallen out.

Little known fact: Wigs that are purchased because of chemotherapy are covered in part by some health insurances. In the insurance business, a wig is called a “cranial prosthesis.”




Here I am with my wig on next to my stylist friend, Bonnie. In the world of chemo wigs, Bonnie is well known as the "blue hair lady" that many chemo patients in Austin go to when they need wig help.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi,

You look great in the new cranial prosthesis! Very professional looking, but maybe easier to care for than that hair style would be with real hair? Dunno. I had wigs in high school, just for fun (we had an odd idea of fun) but I didn't take very good care of them. Thanks for posting the pics!

dquack said...

It's cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi!

I like the look, especially with the highlights.

Ciao

ebru

Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi,

It's really true - that wig looks great! It map feel like you're wearing a mop, but it looks completely natural and *very* stylish. I'm really glad you were able to get such a nice wig.

You could also consider buying a new dress, while you are at it! Something gorgeous and stunning. Oscar de la Renta, Balenciaga, etc? (I'm not kidding!)

Love, Tandy

dquack said...

I was so happy to see you last night! Sorry we didn't get to talk much, but I thought others who don't read your blog would want to know what's going on with you. And really, Doug didn't know it was a wig when he saw the photo. I showed him the picture without telling him what you were going through.

Anonymous said...

Your new do looks fabulous. You look younger.

Anonymous said...

Love it! I must say it looks much better on you than on the model.

Hugs,
Claudia

Wendy said...

Oddly enough, one of our local newscasters here in Boston has been going through chemo, lost her hair and has been wearing a wig. Yours looks much better! Honestly, if I hadn't seen you 'before' I would never know that wasn't your usual hairdo! Weird question, but can you put little clips and such in it? Emma might get a kick out of playing wig-dresser on you. :-)

~Wendy

Anonymous said...

Love the wig actually
I think you look great
I think you ARE great
love your pal Lynda

Anonymous said...

Hey, wow! It looks totally natural, I have to say! No, it's not you...I love your "mop" too!...but you can't tell it's not real. Maybe this is what celebrities feel like when they disguise themselves to go out in public, huh? LOL