Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Not so Great

I have been a little slow on the posts because I have not felt so well in the last couple of days after the second infusion. I hate this blog to be about feeling yucky all the time, but in the spirit of reporting, I guess I need to just state the facts. I am on steroids, which has been a very odd experience. My body desperately wants to sleep, but my mind just won’t shut off. I am exhausted, but I can’t shut down. Today is the last day I need to take steroids. My mouth and throat are also very sore. It hurts to drink water. I gargle with warm salt water, which helps. I don’t have much of an appetite.

I am over my hair loss. I wear a cap every time I go out now. Fortunately, it is cold in Austin now, so I don’t look that odd.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi,

I wish you were feeling better! I guess these times are likely to be hard, but easier times will come when you are off the chemo.

Thanks for making the effort to write -- it helps me (and all your many friends).

Tandy

Anonymous said...

Hey there Gigi -

It's good to hear from you, even if the news isn't so terrific...

But you know, I've been meaning to tell you about the wonders of chemo brain. Seriously, it can be a blessing to forget - simply forget - the pain, the nausea, the fright, the frustration that you've experienced just a short while ago.

It was quite amazing, when Roland was sick, to hear him ask things like, "I don't remember, was I feeling this way last week?" He was completely over the previous week's/month's/etc. experience looooong before I was.

So here's to chemo brain and the relief it can bring you.

And here's to being un-self-conscious about hair loss and implanted ports and having to ask for help and all the other embarrassments that come with this battle. To hell with all that. You're fighting for your life here; nothing else matters.

Please be good to yourself; accept help and love from those who love you; and remember that soon this will all be behind you.

Warmest regards,
Youre friend, Veronica

Anonymous said...

Dear Gigi

I am happy to read your postings again. As I said in another posting, I check your blog every night before bedtime and when they are too far apart I get nervous. I am relieved to hear that this second round is over now. You are a very strong person and you achieved so much in your life alone, relying on your own strengths. I am confident you will overcome this calamity and will soon feel much better. I look forward to seeing you again.

We love you...

Ebru