Monday, December 17, 2007

Interview with David

In reviewing the previous post, I realized I described WHAT David was doing, but not really HOW he is doing. I figure the best way to answer this question is to ask David directly. The following is the transcript from my interview with David for this blog entry.






GIGI: People always ask me how you have been doing? … So, David, how have you been doing?

DAVID: Doing OK.

GIGI: (laughing) You’ve gotta give me a little more here.

DAVID: Well the beginning was tough. It was shocking. It was very upsetting. And I felt myself “steeling” against it. What I mean is hardening myself against it. And then the news started getting somewhat better, and since then it has only gotten better. So I have been doing OK. You get used to the state of having cancer, your wife having cancer. You adjust to it. Although I wouldn’t have thought I would have adjusted to it already, but I guess I have adjusted. Now that you are feeling well, I am doing OK. It does seem temporary, so I feel this will work. I feel like in a couple of months this will be gone. Maybe in three months it will be gone and we will be back to normal. I feel like we can get through it.

GIGI: What do you think of my bald head?

DAVID: Bald is beautiful. (Gigi laughs.)

GIGI: When did you start losing your hair?

DAVID: In college I remember my mom telling me I was losing my hair and I didn’t believe her. I guess I was in denial for a long while. So I lost my hair mid way through college, perhaps.

GIGI: As a veteran, uh “baldy,” do you have any tips for me?

DAVID: If it’s cold, wear a hat.

GIGI: What about sunscreen?

DAVID: Put sunscreen on.

GIGI: What do you think of my wig?

DAVID: I like it. You look good.

GIGI: Really? Thanks.

GIGI: How has my cancer changed your life?

DAVID: Well it certainly changed. I have to worry about what might happen a little bit. But I have been denying that anything might go wrong. I have had to do more work around the house, caring for Emma and consequently less work at school. Makes you not worry about the small things.

GIGI: How do you like being interviewed?

DAVID: I don’t care for it much.

GIGI: How is your scrabble game holding up?

DAVID: Pretty good.

GIGI: You have been missing some Monday scrabble game nights.

DAVID: Oh yes, I have only gone once since this whole thing started. But I play on the computer. I will go more while you are feeling better.

GIGI: So, I want to thank you for everything you are doing around the house.

DAVID: Thank you for noticing.

6 comments:

dquack said...

This made me laugh. I don't know David, but I could see him answering this. Or at least I could see my sweetie answering the same way. :-)

Wendy said...

You guys are too cute. And I remember when David started going bald, I think... or rather, when he was balding and actually went to what one could call "bald." I am sure you will be a bigger person than *I* would be and won't gloat as YOUR hair grows back in. ;-)

*hugs* to you both!

~Wendy
P.S. - Dude! The 'captcha' had "leib" in the middle- go figure!

Anonymous said...

Gigi, You caught David very well! And when your hair grows back in, I suspect David will be able to manage your gloating... in exchange for which he'll probably do less housework! (By the way, how is he as a cook?)

Tandy

Anonymous said...

You guys are hysterical
love you
Lynda

sally said...

Just caught up on several of your blogs, after being away from computer for a while. I appreciate them more every time. This particular entry very wonderful... and FUNNY! Now am imagining my David imitating your David doing the interview. I can hear both versions perfectly. ps: thank you David for taking good care of our Gigi!

jag512 said...

I, too, want to thank David for helping out with the housework and even Emma's play dates..and taking such good care of you. Marriage is a team sport, and it takes two people giving equally to make it work! It's also nice of him to let you interview him and post it up here. My favorite line is when you say that having you there makes you feel safe - everyone needs an advocate with all a person with cancer has to deal with. It's so great he's stepped up to the plate like he has!